Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The first Purple Heart opportunity

So I'm running full speed, and those bombs are getting closer and I jump head first into that foxhole, and my helmet comes down and hits me in the mouth, and the blood is running out of my mouth and I'm spitting out my teeth. And in the meantime, the bombs come and the bombs go, and I get up and go the medics to see about my damage.

So I get there, and the guy says, "Well, what's the matter?"

And I say, "My helmet came down and hit me in the mouth and cut my lips and knocked out some teeth."

"Well, let me take a look at you."

So he gets his flashlight and he looks very carefully, and he says, "Yeah, well there's a little cut right over there.  And let me look at your teeth.  Well, I don't see any teeth out.  But that one big tooth has got a little chip right on the edge of it."

Guess I've got a good imagination.

So he says, "You want me to put you in for the Purple Heart?"

And I says, "No, I don't want the Purple Heart."

Because I knew that anybody that got the Purple Heart was either dead or couldn't fly an airplane.

No comments:

Labels