Sunday, December 18, 2011

En route to the South Pacific, 69 years ago this weekend

The first entries in my South Pacific diary:


December 16, 1942

Well this is quite a day.  Mom's birthday.  Sure wish I could be home with her.

Today we left Oahu for the Fiji Island and then to the New Hebrides and war.  Up to now it has been a ways away.  But it won't be long until I'll be in it.

We are on a new ship on her maiden voyage.  The Hunston, a troop transport built in Seattle, Washington.

The quarters are very good.  There are four of us in one room with our own toilet and showers.  Kind of hot in the night time.

Dec. 17, 1942

About the best thing on this ship is the food.  I haven't eaten such good food since I left the states.  Although he only two meals a day, they are the best.  We are four to a table and have our own waiter named Joe.  A Filipino.

Haven't done much today, just read and had a boat drill at 10:00 am.  A few are sea sick but I feel fine.  Sure am glad.  I wouldn't want to miss any of that good food because where we are going it will be lousy eating.

Friday, Dec. 18, 1942

Just about like yesterday, no boat drill though.  Reading and sleeping.  I got a smallpox vac. today which will bring my record up to date with smallpox.  Also I have to get Typhus, Cholera, & Typhoid.

I bought some cookies, candy and huts from the P.X. today.

Saturday, Dec. 19, 1942

We had a boat drill in the afternoon.  Spent most of the day reading and sleeping.  Woke up in the middle of the night and as I could not sleep I went out on deck and slept in a life raft for a couple hours until it got so cold I went downstairs again.

It has been quiet enough the past two days and the wind has been blowing very loud.





No comments:

Labels